Family Owned & Run Since 1951
Avoca Beach Picture Theatre began in 1948
Projecting through a hole made in Norman’s garage wall onto a homemade screen, people brought cushions to soften the wooden benches.
The brothers decided that a multi-purpose permanent structure was needed, and the Theatre was built. It included the 500 seat cinema, a Commonwealth Bank and a real estate office. The Theatre operated on Saturdays and during the school holidays, never being open on a Sunday as it was used to hold both Catholic and Presbyterian Church services.
The Theatre adapted as times required, with the inclusion of a Souvenir and Gift Shop from the 60’s, Alfresco Screenings on the lawn, a Café from the early ‘80’s and a Wine Bar, all of which continue to this day (click here to find out more).
Avoca Beach Picture Theatre is still owned and run by the same family who arrived in Avoca in 1932.
Under the care of Norman and Beth Hunter and their family, the Theatre continues to be a much loved cultural and community hub.
Avoca Theatre Rewards Program
how to find us
We’re located at 69 Avoca Drive, Avoca Beach, NSW 2251
Save time & get directions via Google Maps